Wednesday, January 6, 2010

2010 Kick-started.

Well, it has been a rather eventful week. My exams ended (finally) on the 31st and I realized that this is the first New Year’s Eve in the last three years which I have been able to celebrate wholeheartedly without that niggling fear of pending exams at the back of my mind. It was a small but definitely noisy terrace party with a couple of building friends. Technically speaking, my building doesn’t have a terrace because it does not have side walls on which you can lean upon. Keeping in mind the obvious danger, we decided to keep the booze out of this party (Don’t you get shocked, I was just kidding. I hate the smell of alcohol and equally hate stinky alcoholics). The terrace was swept clean after decades and I am sure they might have discovered something of archaeological importance by cleaning off the ancient dust. Hehe.

We danced like hell without giving a damn to the Peeping Tom in neighbouring building who was seemingly enjoying the ‘live’ telecast. We could have danced more but we got hungry because we had fasted the whole day so that we can stuff ourselves later at night. The food arrived almost two hours late and this goes without saying that we pounced on it. I was so full and sleepy that I didn’t wait for the game of dumb charades to end and returned home. It is a miracle that I didn’t doze off on the terrace staircase while coming down.

Next day I travelled for two hours to watch Three Idiots with college friends. Don’t ask me what made me do that, even I don’t know. But eventually, the movie made the travel worthwhile and my mind was brimming with ideas and thoughts on how to make my last term in college revolutionary. Of course such thoughts have a shelf life of one day. The shelf life of the thrill associated with the end of exams was even less. Soon, I was busy solving puzzles and brain teasers and what not to prepare for the aptitude test of a high profile company. It turned out to be a disappointment not because I was not able to crack the test but because some people cleared the test with unfair means. It is definitely not the case of sour grapes because the fact that I didn’t get selected doesn’t hurt that much; what hurts is to see people much deserving than me get rejected. The reason being a few cheaters divided the paper solving task amongst themselves and then exchanged answers.

This cheating thing is not something unheard of; I have seen it during every exam. I know so many people who never moved a muscle but still cleared their exams thanks to the chits flying in from the window straight onto their desks. But these people never got too far by resorting to these methods. They have been doing the same course since the last four years and still have not learned their lesson. This ultimately strengthened my belief that all these unfair practices can help you to a certain level, but you cannot go further. Until this aptitude test happened.

I am done with all the cribbing but I am genuinely feeling happy for Yuga. She was the top scorer in the aptitude test and we never had an inkling of doubt about her getting selected after the interview. What followed after that was a feast of chicken lollipop, chicken crispy, chicken schezwan rice and biryani. I did feel a bit guilty about eating non vegetarian food on a Tuesday but what the hell! I had so much fun along with friends that my failure now remains a distant memory. As of now, staying true to my hopelessly optimistic attitude, I am hoping that a much better company is in store for me :)

6 comments:

  1. hmm...good thing your 20 10 kick started...i am scared to hell as i doubt that my 20 10 will start... <:P>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well they haven't kickstarted as such... Lot of misery going on but I am optimistic about a good year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm hearing that its time a get optimistic too...<:P>

    ReplyDelete
  4. the year started with a lost opportunity..it is natural to regret it till u make up for it..every1 will get into a good company..being optimistic is all we can do for now..and hope our placement officer ropes in a few companies for our branch too..

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey..d year has jus started..so lets giv it a chance to grow into a big 1...As Aamir Khan Says "Aal is well" :)

    ReplyDelete