Saturday, July 31, 2010

Season of Memories


Let us admit it, we Indians are absolutely in love with the monsoon. We treat the season Like a parent tracking it's baby's progress and gushing over it's every burp, barf and belch. And not to forget how we dutifully incorporate it in our every conversation. Whether it drizzles or pours,the news channels always have a hour hour special on it and with such huge publicity, it could put even Rakhi Sawant to shame.

I share a love-hate relationship with monsoon. As long as I am safe inside my house getting warm with a hot cuppa tea, I enjoy the rains pattering on the roof. But the moment I have to step out in the same rainfall I was enjoying a few moments back, my mood does a flip and all I do is grumble, complain ad rant. So here is a mixed bag of monsoon related memories in no specific order :

Memory #1
I remember once my school bus had got stuck in muck and tilted to one side but not in a precarious manner. All the kids were howling and someone's father appeared and I remember his dramatic entry too well wherein he yelled for his child and then scooped the girl and went off. Soon a few more parents appeared and the howling subsided as they took home the noisy sources. Only handful of us remained, each glancing hopefully outside only to be disappointed.

Memory #2
Once when I was at my native place, a woman was killed when the roof of a tank got swept away during heavy rains and came flying at her. For the next few months, I always scanned the skies warily during monsoons for a flying tank lid.

Memory #3
We used to create these mini tents with umbrella and play a new version of ghar-ghar.

Memory #4
I have learnt not to fall for all-season sandals because thanks to them I arrived home but only after the ritual of slipping every ten meters when it was raining badly.

Memory #5
Long back when waterproof bags were not a rage, the water managed to seep inside my bag and drown every book within. The happiness I felt knowing that I won't have textbooks to study for a while was out of this world.

Memory #6
I loved getting drenched in the rains. My building friends set a date and if it rained that day we would rush down and dance. Some aunty would get generous and serve us onion bhajiyas. Absolute bliss.

Memory #7
The 26/7 floods saw me shifting goods from the houses on ground floor to my place. The next morning, I was scrubbing utensils in the rain because we had no water supply. But the memory that sticks is having breakfast, lunch and dinner with the building folks all united by a disaster but sharing the common hope of sailing through it and rebuilding our lives.

Memory #8
The rains make you thoughtful. I have lost count of the times when I sit at the window and reminiscence over life. Sometimes they veer towards the negative aspects but the thoughts match the weather appropriately - dark,gloomy and moist.

Memory #9
Last year, we college people created a ruckus asking for a swine-flu holiday. The crowd was ready to bash up the cruel Princy but seeing the crowd, his expressions changed. That was the first time I was part of the demonstration and it would have been more fun if stone-throwing was on the agenda but I was sorely disappointed.

Memory #10
This is the best memory of all. Every time it rains heavily and if I am travelling by train, I scamper towards the door and stand there to let the rain patter on me. Such pleasures I tell you.

6 comments:

  1. simply amazin.....gud wrk ....had a flashback of al d gr8 moments...thnx.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dilip- Monsoon sure is good trigger for all kind of memories. Why this particular season remains a mystery though.
    @Atul- Thanks dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. bloody rains....i have only bad memories of these stupid rains :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. To each his own. My earlier memories were predominantly good but now they have been tinged with a bit of freak incidents. Still it would be preposterous to conclude that monsoon is evil.

    ReplyDelete