Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Being Patient With Patience

Patience is the bane of the needy. I have observed that our patience is tested and I mean really, really tested whenever we are in dire need of something. People say it a virtue, I say it is a necessary evil. You have to display patience not because it an indicator of your character but because you are left with absolutely no option.


There are so many instances to prove so. Take for example a queue at the railway station. I completely fail to understand why all the ticket windows cannot open at rush hour timings unless the railway authorities are a bunch of dung-heads to not realizes the obvious. So anyways, we are now forced to stand in the queue and while a few scheming individuals are conjuring up some plan to jump the queue, the remaining ones resign to their destiny and wait. No matter how much we crib, we HAVE TO shut up and be patient.


Mumbai University is famous for its inefficiency. I still don't understand why so much importance is attached to the MU stamp on mark sheet considering most of the pass-outs are complete baboons. According to the general rules, results must be declared within 45 days. It is preposterous to think they are going to stick to the deadline so now even after 45+45 days we stay patient and wait and wait and wait.


Job-seekers will agree with me that the company where you are begging for a job will treat you like dirt. If it would have been any other situation, our ego would have bubbled forth and heavy duty words like self-respect are dropped in the conversation. But in the above mentioned situation, we swallow our ego and put up with a smile. Patience anyone?


My conclusion from past experiences all point out to one fact- there is a sliver of difference between patience and tolerance and most of the times they are indistinguishable. The next time you mention patience as a virtue, think again. You might have little idea what you are talking about.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks. My recent experiences prompted mt to write this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you manage to simplify things so easily. these thoughts have often passed me and when ever i try to explain them to my friends, they just label it too philosophical and i have to stop my vague attempts therein..

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tejas- Thanks for always encouraging me
    @NIkhil- It is the same case with me. Else why would I put it on the blog? It is not a worthwhile topic for discussion amongst friends because not many feel drawn to intense topics. So you can keep mum and rant about it on blog later on. Just like I did ;)

    ReplyDelete