Monday, November 11, 2013

...Changed Her Profile Photo

Yes, I am talking about Facebook after realising that I spend significant hours on this social platform ever since I moved to another country. No, I do not spam everyone's timelines with photos of signboards and drunk parties, I belong to the category who goes through old photos and likes them so that they get trending (it is more fun when the photos are highly embarrassing. Yes, I am going to rot in hell).


Speaking of photos, have you ever noticed how the nature of the profile photo changes as the person goes through different stages of life? Check out the profile of a teen and it will most probably be inundated with photos of their favorite band or English serial. They also tend to post more photos of cartoon heroes. It speaks of their own aspirations - to be as famous as the rock-stars and to have powers like their superheroes.

Next comes the college crowd - think about group photos at college canteens, kattas and railway stations. It is the 'I don't care' age group and they do not bat an eye before sporting a silly pose in a public place. Oh, I so love those photos, mainly because of they remind me of myself ;)

Moving out of college and into a new job comes with its own sense of entitlement. You are not yet out of college atmosphere and still easing into the work environment. You finally have the money to do things you absolutely wanted to! I am talking about road trips, adventure sports, holiday destinations. Brace yourself because your timeline would be full of trip albums getting updated at weekly intervals. Gah!


The next wave of photographs is what I fear the most. Mushy quotes, hugs, smiles and filmy locations is what characterizes the to-be-married or married crowd. Henceforth, at least for a while, profile photos would constitute of two people with a romantic location as the backdrop.

Bring in a kid and that would stay the profile photo till they grow old - it remains the most adorable phase of photos for me. I am talking about cute smiles, cuddly poses, kids with Rajnikanth-styled glasses and fancy dress photos. The center of their universe wrapped up in one small bundle. All in all, you can plot someone's life graph by looking at their profile photos and in the end, the pattern is always the same!


And you say social networking is a waste  of time? I think not :)


No comments:

Post a Comment