Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Booked For Life


Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled "This could change your life."
- Helen Exley

My blog template is enough to indicate my love for books and reading. It is the only thing keeping me sane these days when I am cooped up at home with nothing particular to do. I take to books as a fish to water and should anyone attempt to separate me from my love, it is met with disastrous consequences.


I was none of those boisterous, screaming, mischief- mongering child and hence was any parent's dream come true. Never had I, in my living memory, thrown a tantrum over something or embarrassed my parents by indulging in naughty fun. When I look back now, I think I was more of an observer- keen to see everything but with a step back so as not to get too involved, though I can say this trait got buried as I grew up. I was content reading the newspaper and when everyone was having a siesta at noon, I used to pull out the children's magazines (Champak, Gokulam etc.) and enter my own fantasy world. One of my favorite hobbies was writing down the words I heard on television and get it corrected from father. Then those words would be consulted in the dictionary for their proper meaning and used/abused in everyday life till it was imprinted on my mind.


There have been times when I am reading a book and a particular paragraph or phrase has mirrored my very own situation. This accidental stumbling turns out to be a savior during my rough patches or when I am just feeling low. I just clutch the books and thank my lucky stars for giving me a sign resolving my predicament. I don't boast of a collection because I have relied heavily on borrowing and books off Thane or Andheri station but I do plan to start buying them once I start earning which is an era away.


Just like a mother who wouldn't discriminated between her own kids, I can't name one single book which I adore. I love my kids equally whether it is Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist or The Harry Potter series or Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki to name a few. Let's just say that everyone has given me a hand while I climbed the wall of happiness and knowledge and when I looked down, they all smile indulgently at me, ready to hold me should I ever come crashing down.


But you know why I am in love with books? Because no matter how much time has elapsed and even if you forget them, the books always greet you warmly and not scoff for ignoring them. But the best part is they are the only constants in my life- the people around me will change but the characters and teachings of the book will stand the test of time.


Trust me, I have seen enough chameleons in my life to make me conclude no human is trustworthy(though I still deviate from this principle regularly). So on those bad days when I am exasperated at how much situations and people change, there is this one assurance that somethings in life will always be the same.

5 comments:

  1. Are you my twin? I can relate to every single thing that you've said here. I was that child , i am the girl who always look for books when she is happy , sad or anything.. cause they will always be there. I love getting lost in books!

    ~Niv

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am absolutely glad to meet my twin :)
    I thought people might never understand why I am so hooked to reading and was doubtful if they would relate to this post. But your comment made me feel better. Thanks a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. m waiting for a book wriiten by u.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will take ages Dilip but I love it when you encourage me this way. I just hope I become capable enough to write a book someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. those books behind are made for u (widout title).. so enter suitable title for them.. i think reading ur blogs will become my routine soon instead of visiting fb.. u write so well.. plz think seriously on this particular comment

    ReplyDelete