Thursday, September 23, 2010

Forever Burdened


I am someone who goes around with a burden on my shoulders. And my heart sometimes. I cannot step out of my house without a bag-even if it is a polythene one, I would carry it. I don't know what to do with empty hands and sometimes I fear that I am suffering from alien hand syndrome(wherein your limbs perform action contrary to your wishes. Scary, na?), so I need to keep them occupied.


I cannot fathom how people can travel without carrying essential things with them. Now this is a fairly common sight amongst guys but it amazes me when I see girls doing the same thing. I wonder how it feels to be so light.


It goes without saying that I possess lots of bags to carry my things around.Correction: I possess lots of huge bags. My college sack was roomy enough to stuff myself in and it was so complete in itself that all I had to do was pick it up and head off to my destination. Same goes for my handbag which has large number of confusing compartments but nevertheless helpful to keep me organized. Oh, and there is this light blue handbag gifted to me by my cousin brother(the only male I know to have a fantastic taste in handbags. His previous handbag was absolutely suited for me but unfortunately was ruined by Mom.) which is also of a decent size. Then there is this cross strap jean bag when I want to feel all college-ish.

I still can't stop goggling at those clutch purses women carry while travelling. Sure it's handy and small but does it hold your cellphone? No. The woman would be struggling to carry the clutch in one hand, cellphone in other and hoping that a third hand would sprout to grip the rod while climbing in the train.


What my bag holds is a mystery to my friends. They derive great pleasure in lifting my bag a few feet above and then leaving it upon gravity to do the rest while I try to maintain my balance and dignity. So I will let you have a peek at the insides of my companion along with justification as to why I carry certain items along.

1. Identity proof
I never bothered carrying one until one friend told me why it is important. With all the blasts and accidents happening around, she advised me to keep it just in case.. you know... I happen to land up in hospital, my folks won't have to go checking out every hospital. How very thoughtful.

2. College essentials
Includes ID(absolutely compulsory in college), library card(rarely used) and fee receipt.

3. Tissue paper
To clean up the rain water on seats or to lend to a weepy folk.

4. Smart Card and Coupons
The queues at station are always long but I have an added disadvantage- my luck. I am so lucky that the window at which I stand for a ticket either shuts down on my turn to buy ticket or the window closes prematurely when I am halfway through. Save time and print a ticket. Or punch a coupon. Or punch the station master for non-functioning ATVMs and CVMs.

5. Girlie stuff
Hairbrush, lip balm, clip etc. No justification whatsoever.

5. Polythene bag
I suffer from travelling sickness though the nauseating sensation is limited to ST buses and vehicles spiraling along ghats. I don't feel like spoiling the interiors of mode of transport and and make other people feel sick so the polythene bag.

6. Bottle of water
Forever thirsty being that I am, I don't take the risk of gulping water from a public tap nor am I snobbish and environment-unfriendly to buy bottled water for every trip I undertake.

7. Books
To keep me company when the journey takes too long or the co-passengers are absolutely boring. It is one of the most essential things and I get restless when I cannot feel the familiar reassuring lump inside my bag.

8. Food
For my hyperactive metabolism.

9.Umbrella
Seasonal item.Duh!

10. Miscellaneous
Gift wrappings of a memorable present, ticket of an awesome trip, a non-functioning watch which I always fail to fix up, tablets past their expiry date, dried petals of a flower that caught my fancy and so on.

So what do you carry around? I could do with some suggestions to add to my list ;)

4 comments:

  1. Almost all that you said, and: Wet tissues, hand cleanser, basic medicines (like Dispirin, Crocin, etc. - I'm prone to headaches), my set of house keys, a notepad and a pen.

    I have a number of big bags, and all this gets moved from bag to bag depending on which one I'm using :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hand cleanser sure sounds fancy. Will include it in my bag soon :)
    But I find it really cumbersome to transfer contents from one bag to another so I stick to one bag till it wears out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i usually travel wid jus a wallet n cellphone in my pocket...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know and I will forever be jealous about you travelling so light.

    ReplyDelete