Thursday, September 9, 2010

Food for Thought

I have to admit it, albeit sheepishly that I am a total foodie. I may be cursed with a low appetite but that doesn't stop me from gorging on food. Now let me make it clear that there is a very fine line of difference between a foodie and a glutton and my small stomach ensures that I don't fall into the latter category.


Being a foodie doesn't imply you fine dine at high-end restaurants and leave with a hole in your pocket. For college students, it is all about finding the best masala tea and the best roadside stall for vada pav and it hasn't been any different for me. Most of my living time on this earth has been spent scouring areas for that ultimate street food and while at the same time turning a blind eye to the not-so-hygienic surroundings. Should you ever happen to mention it to the vendor, he will give you a what-so-you-expect-in-so-less-money expression. Better focus on the food and quietly gulp it.I call it strengthening-the-digestive-system exercise.


I am not that experienced to conjure up a list for foodies but my recommendations have been seconded by many. One of the reasons for my limited experience being the lack of a proper foodie companion. I don't want to end up with someone who wrinkles up his/ her nose looking at the surroundings or cheekily asks the pani-puri vendor if they use mineral water.


So here is my little list of places, in no particular order, which have been a part of my foodie adventure -
1. Vada pav near Terna Engineering College bang opposite Nerul(W) Railway station. The female owner whom we call Aunty,diligently served us with the Indian burger and we stuck to her with unwavering loyalty. A vada pav cost us three bucks in those golden days but now it has been hiked to a reasonable five. If you are lucky, you might get to lay your hands on bhajis.

2. Frankies at the sole bakery(I fail to recall the name) inside Nerul(E) station complex. It was love at first sight with franky for me. Right from vegeterian delights like manchurian franky(highly recommended), noodle franky, paneer franky to various chicken frankies for the non-veggies. And the best part? Not exorbitantly priced, prices start from Rs. 25.

3. This place is right next to the bakery mentioned above and serves the meanest South Indian fare. But the bread masala pakoda is something to die for because they add tomatoes, a rarity.

4. Pani-puri at Bikaner outlets is sumptuous especially since they skip the fattening ragda and opt for moong and boondi. A good consolation for the calorie-conscious people who binge on this treat.

5. Everything at Shri Krishna hotel inside the Vashi station complex is delicious. You can't miss this place if you step out through the main exit from the station. Don't forget to try the masala dosa and jumbo vada pav.

6. I am yet to taste pav bhaji more finger-licking than the one's at Waghe's outlet at Old Panvel. Let you be guided by the aroma of samosas and vada pavs and the buttery pav bhaji to this hole-in-the-wall shop. Should your sensory organs fail you, ask anyone around and they would guide you but not before giving a do-you-live-in-Mars kind of expression.

7. Cocktail juice outside Kurla station and as a side note let me know it is not alcoholic else the whole station area would be full of staggering drunkards. A combination of various fruit juices and flavoured ice-creams in a large glass tumbler makes for a pretty sight. When you have recovered from the cold headache thanks to the really cold contents, stand back(can't say sit back because you are lucky to get a foothold in the area near the stall) and relish the blast of various flavors. Don't even bother counting them- I lost count at five.

8. Biryani and all non-vegetarian fare at Tirupati Prasad opposite Nerul(E) Railway station(again :|) at absolutely affordable prices makes it my favourite spot when I am low on money(which is quite frequently). Don't miss out the chicken lollipops and chicken chilly .

9. I have taken a fancy for Mongnis outlets nowadays and waste no time taking home various pastries which make you go ooooooohhhhhh.... with the sheer amount of cream oozing out. Conizza(pizza in a cone) is a unique delicacy which you shouldn't miss.

10. Auberge(hope I spelt it right) on the Panvel-Matheran Road opposite New Panvel Petrol pump, though it has been a long time I visited it. Anything you pick up is lip-smacking and easy on the wallet. The last time I landed there, I enjoyed a medium sized pizza for thirty five buck flat. My friends recommend the non-vegetarian food there and I am waiting for an opportunity to attack the food there with a vengeance :D

I would love to add places to this list so put in your recommendations. Only two conditions apply- good food and fair pricing. Happy gorging till then!

4 comments:

  1. hmmmm...yummy post....;) well i would like to add d chicken biryani outside belapur stn for 50 bucks..and how can u mis gajanan vadapavs and tiptop thickshakes (thane w)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken biryani in Belapur? How come I missed that? I would definitely give it a try :)
    Gajanan remains unchartered territory though I have got rave reviews about it. Same goes for thick shakes. Thanks for helping me chalk out my next foodie trip !

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. u forgot pandu pani-puri.. i think raji gave us party in our class X..remember...visit again..chal call me i am ever-ready like u...

    ReplyDelete